Portland, Maine, is a beautiful city with a lot to offer visitors. There are charming cobblestone streets, historic buildings, and a vibrant arts scene. There are also plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy, from hiking and biking to kayaking and fishing.
However, there are some times of year when you might want to avoid visiting Portland. Here are a few of the worst times to visit Portland, Maine in 2024:
Portland winters can be long, cold, and snowy. The average temperature in January is 22 degrees Fahrenheit (-6 degrees Celsius). The city also gets an average of 60 inches of snow per year. If you’re not a fan of cold weather, you might want to avoid visiting Portland in the winter.
Mud season is the time of year when the snow melts and the ground thaws. This can happen anytime from late March to early May. During mud season, the roads can be muddy and the trails can be wet and slippery. If you’re planning on doing any hiking or biking, you might want to avoid visiting Portland during mud season.
Portland summers are mild, with average temperatures in July reaching 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees Celsius). However, the city can also be quite humid in the summer. If you’re not a fan of hot and humid weather, you might want to avoid visiting Portland in the summer.
Portland is a popular destination for leaf peepers. The fall foliage in Maine is truly spectacular. However, the city can also be quite crowded during foliage season. If you’re not a fan of crowds, you might want to avoid visiting Portland during foliage season.
Peak Tourist Season
Portland is a popular tourist destination year-round. However, the city is busiest during the summer months and during foliage season. If you’re looking for a more relaxed experience, you might want to avoid visiting Portland during peak tourist season.
When to Visit Portland
If you’re looking for the best time to visit Portland, Maine, the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) are ideal. The weather is mild, the crowds are smaller, and the prices are lower.
Here are some of the best things to do in Portland during the shoulder seasons:
- Visit the Portland Museum of Art
- Take a walk on the Eastern Promenade
- Go kayaking on Casco Bay
- Hike to the top of Mount Washington
- Visit the Portland Head Light
- Take a food tour of the city
- Go to a concert or play at the Portland Symphony Orchestra
- Browse the shops at the Old Port
No matter when you decide to visit Portland, you’re sure to have a great time. Just be sure to pack accordingly for the weather!
Tips for Visiting Portland
Here are a few tips for visiting Portland:
- Book your accommodations early, especially if you’re visiting during peak tourist season.
- Bring layers of clothing so you can adjust to the changing weather.
- Wear comfortable shoes if you’re planning on doing any walking or hiking.
- Bring a camera to capture the beautiful scenery.
- Be prepared for crowds, especially during peak tourist season.
- Allow plenty of time to explore the city.
- Relax and enjoy your time in Portland!