The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
Chinese military forum mil.huanqiu.com says that according China surpasses the U.S. in developing prompt global strike capabilities.
The report says that China’s Kuaizhou/Fei Tian dual-use mobile launch system and the surveillance satellite constellation consisting of 138 satellites point to the emergence of a capability similar to the United States’ Prompt Global Strike (PGS) programme.
The US PGS programme has been running since 2001 and involves combining intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), non-nuclear hypersonic warheads, and advanced surveillance systems to achieve precision strikes at intercontinental range.
Although funding allocated for the programme reached US$78.8 million for the fiscal year 2016, the US has not yet developed and deployed a PGS system.
The report also says that as China has measured and tested long-range conventional missile strike systems including the DF-21D and the DF-26 anti-ship ballistic missiles, and conducted 5 tests of hypersonic glide vehicles, there is an indication that China’s intercontinental PGS capabilities is perhaps taking shape.
In addition, China’s commercial Jilin satellite system also indicates the emergence of China’s PGS capabilities.
The Jilin-1 group of satellites consists of 4 satellites: one 450-kg major satellite with a resolution ratio of 0.72 metres, two dexterous image taking satellites with a resolution ratio of 1.3 metres and one checking satellite with dexterous image taking.
Chinese sources say that by 2030 there will be 138 satellites in the Jilin satellite system with a return visit speed of 10 minutes.
It is expected that the satellites will become smaller with higher resolution.
The PLA will use that satellite system to help its intercontinental PGS system update its targets.
As the DF-21D, DF-26, Kuaizhou and DN-2 systems are all controlled by the 2nd Artillery Corp., the potential PGS system based on the more powerful Kuaizhou-2 rocket will probably be controlled by the Corp.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Jane’s: China developing prompt global strike capabilities, surpassing the U.S. in progress” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China’s new weapons showcased in September 3 parade, which China says are capable of attacking Japan and Taiwan (chinadailymail.com)
- China preparing for drone warfare (chinadailymail.com)
- China Secretly Conducts Second Flight Test Of New Ultra High-Speed Missile (chinadailymail.com)
- China making preparations to counter US nuclear attack (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s formidable rocket artillery; 10,000 nuclear warheads capable of destroying Russia and United States (chinadailymail.com)
- China is launching a ‘trump card’ nuclear submarine that could target the US (businessinsider.com)
- China is launching a ‘trump card’ nuclear submarine that could target the US (uk.businessinsider.com)
- US, South Korea Allies Discuss North Korea’s Nuclear, Missile Threat (jpupdates.com)
- US, South Korea allies discuss N.Korea’s nuclear, missile threat (news.yahoo.com)
- Nuclear weapons capability stripped from some B-52 bombers (upi.com)