The following is based on translations of reports on Chinese news sites:
The report says that Cheng Yong and his team have been making breakthroughs in strategic technology vital to the development of photoelectric equipment such as adjust-free laser, DLC film prepared by laser deposition and coherent combination of mutual injection, etc.
Cheng has tackled problems that even US experts find difficult, including making the world’s first adjustment-free solid laser.
In 2000, Cheng found that China’s infrared window, the eye of China’s large weapon for interception, was not hard enough to resist injury or chemically stable enough to resist erosion, and it became “blind” under hypersonic speed.
To remedy this, he spent four years developing DLC film prepared by laser deposition.
The film was used in China’s new ICBM defence missile to increase its speed by 30%. In 2011, the missile successfully passed a test to intercept an ICBM in mid course.
Foreign media call the new missile Hongqi-19.
Source: Science and Technology Daily “Brave people fear nothing pioneering in photoelectric technology: True story of Chengyong, director of Photoelectric Research Institute of Armament Cadet School, and his team’s creation in scientific research” and news.ifeng.com “China’s special infrared window able to raise the speed of Hongqi-19 missile defense missile by 30%” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the reports in Chinese)
- China claims successful attack on Japanese military satellite; destroyed control chip with “secret weapon” (chinadailymail.com)
- China making preparations to counter US nuclear attack (chinadailymail.com)
- China ‘UFO’ may have been the fourth of China’s midcourse ICBM interception tests (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s formidable rocket artillery; 10,000 nuclear warheads capable of destroying Russia and United States (chinadailymail.com)
- China fast expands its GPS system to global coverage for ICBM defence (chinadailymail.com)
- China Confirms Hypersonic Missile Test (ncrenegade.com)
- US military buildup in Asia is disproportionally huge – Lavrov (tass.ru)
- Cross-strait military imbalance tests Tsai’s strategic wisdom (wantchinatimes.com)
- Turkey could choose China’s missile defense system by end of year (lunaticoutpost.com)
- PM plays down China missile peril (smh.com.au)