The following is based on a translation of a report on a Chinese news site:
A report in huanqiu.com quoted a report in the Pakistani Tribune News Network that China and Pakistan concluded a contract this week with China to export eight conventional submarines, worth several billion US dollars, to Pakistan.
A retired Pakistani senior official was quoted as saying that the contract is worth US$4-5 billion.
Pakistan is to make payment in 4 instalments, while the subs will be delivered one by one in the coming few years.
The sub China has sold is its S20 submarine, an export version of China’s Yuan-class submarine.
According to Jane’s Defence Weekly, the S20 is 66 meters long, 8 meters wide and 8.2 meters high with a displacement on the surface of 1,850 tons and underwater, 2,300 tons.
The S20s sold to Pakistan are all double-hulled ones installed with an AIP system.
It has a maximum speed of 18 knots and a maximum range of 8,000 nautical miles at a speed of 16 knots.
It can submerge to a maximum depth of 300 meters.
According to the report, the S20 is installed with the Chinese sonar acoustic system as advanced as that used in the advanced submarines in other countries and armed with six 533-mm torpedo launch tubes for radiation wire-guided torpedoes, anti-ship missiles, rocket-boosted anti-submarine torpedoes and anti-torpedo torpedoes.
Source: huanqiu.com “Good News on China’s Arms Export! Contract concluded on sales of submarines worth billions of US dollars” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China develops revolutionary submarine with high speed of 100 knots (chinadailymail.com)
- China has built twelve new AIP submarines, while Japan has built only five (chinadailymail.com)
- China thinks it can defeat America in battle (chinadailymail.com)
- China says it’s massive navy buildup is world’s biggest (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media claims three strategic nuclear submarines berthed in Hainan are superior to current submarines (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s submarine force four times that of India and growing (msn.com)
- India will pay Russia for customized improvements of the Yasen Submarine (nextbigfuture.com)
- Russia offers India a super submarine (in.rbth.com)
- Watch Out, India: China Just Sent First-Ever Submarine to Pakistan (nationalinterest.org)
- India to Float Tenders for Six New Submarines Soon (marinelink.com)