The following is based on a translation from Chinese media:
Chinese official media Global Times has expressed anger over the US updated National Military Strategy, which slammed Chinese claims in the South China Sea as aggressive and inconsistent with international law.
The Office of the Chinese Foreign Ministry said that “the US side should keep on its efforts to build a new type of major country relationship between China and the US in accordance with the important consensus reached by the heads of the two countries, refrain from conflict or confrontation, respect each other and pursue win-win cooperation.”
The Chinese report says that the News Affairs Bureau of the Chinese Defence Ministry said: “We have noticed what the US side says in the report on supporting China’s rise and keeping on the efforts to develop pragmatic military relations with China.
“However, the US report groundlessly denounces China’s proper construction on the islands and reefs in the South China Sea and exaggerates the ‘threat from China’.
“We express our opposition to that. The US side should strive to maintain steady development of the relations between Chinese and US militaries, cease expressing irresponsible opinions and do more things favourable to regional peace and stability.”
“We express dissatisfaction and opposition towards the US report’s irrational exaggerations of China’s threat.
“We have already clearly explained our stance on the issue of construction on islands and reefs in the South China Sea several times.”
Source: Global Times “The United States says some countries do not want to fight a war with the US, but they have to be eliminated when necessary” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- US State Department says China’s nine-dashed line in South China Sea wouldn’t pass any legal test (chinadailymail.com)
- China threatens restricted flight zone over entire South China Sea, giving them the right to shoot down unauthorised planes (chinadailymail.com)
- China responds to US ‘provocations’ in South China Sea by a direct challenge, increasing building on artificial islands (chinadailymail.com)
- US to deploy nuclear-capable bombers to Australia to send message to China (chinadailymail.com)
- Vietnam launches legal challenge against China’s South China Sea claims (chinadailymail.com)
- US lacks ‘moral standing’ to criticize China over island building: Anlayst (rinf.com)
- New images show China building military facilities in South China Sea (washingtonpost.com)
- China angered by new U.S. military strategy report (thanhniennews.com)
- China gets angry with US (worldbulletin.net)
- China angered by new U.S. military strategy report (dailymail.co.uk)