The following is based on a translation of a report in Chinese media:
The report says that the Shendiao has a higher performance level and better operational capabilities than America’s RQ-4 Global Hawk.
According to Ta Kung Pao, the Shendiao is 25 metres long with a wingspan of 50 metres. It is dual-hull.
The greater wingspan enables it to fly at at a height of 25 km, much higher than Global Hawk’s 18 km. Its speed is Mach 0.8 faster than the Global Hawk.
As it has a takeoff load of 15 to 20 tons, it can carry a radar that works at both X and UHF wavebands, which provides accurate fire control information at X waveband and can detect stealth aircraft at UHF waveband.
A group of Shendiaos coordinated with a manned KJ-500 manned AEW&C aircraft will provide early warning when US stealth aircraft come near China and track them.
The report says that the Shendiao’s emergence makes it very dangerous and difficult for the US air force to invade Chinese airspace.
Moreover, the Shendiao has greatly improved China’s capabilities to hit US warships, airfields and land-based missile launchers with long-range weapons.
Ta Kung Pao also says that the US will be unable to attack China with its 20-odd strategic stealth bombers as China has anti-stealth capabilities with these drones.
Source: Ta Kung Pao “Anti-stealth Cruise by Double-fuselage Drone” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China says its high-altitude long-range anti-stealth “Shendiao” drone is better than US drone (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s new J-16 fighter jets appear to have been commissioned into the PLA air force (chinadailymail.com)
- China takes nuclear weapons underwater where prying eyes can’t see (chinadailymail.com)
- Japan’s master plan to defeat China in a war (chinadailymail.com)
- Taiwan using drones to spy on China (chinadailymail.com)
- China Jams US Spy Drones Over Disputed South China Sea Islands (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Chinese Military Using Jamming Against U.S. Drones (ncrenegade.com)
- China tried to jam a UAV on an intel mission. A defense analyst says an inflight snatch might be next… (snafu-solomon.blogspot.com)
- Concept art of China’s ‘Condor’ high-altitude drone circulates online (wantchinatimes.com)
- Northrop likely to land nearly $2 billion deal with Japan (bizjournals.com)