The following is based on a translation from Chinese media:
It is an important project of China’s 21st century maritime Silk Road.
The canal will be 102 km long, 400 meters wide and 25 meters deep.
China says it will provide great economic gains for the countries that have to go through the Malacca Strait for their trade with the Middle East and Europe.
Canal planners say that, strategically, it is very important for China to get an alternative route for its energy and trade security, as India has control of the Malacca Strait.
China is also planning a road and rail route through Pakistan, also as an alternative for Middle East trade passing through the Malacca Strait.
Source: Sky News “Kra Canal with great strategic importance begins construction” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China to bypass Malacca Strait by Kra Isthmus Canal in Thailand (chinadailymail.com)
- China to build Nicaragua Canal, another Pacific-Atlantic connection (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s submarines in Indian Ocean worry Indian Navy (chinadailymail.com)
- Is China reviving the old Silk Road? (chinadailymail.com)
- Thailand boosts military ties with China amid U.S. spat (chinadailymail.com)
- Badly-behaved Chinese tourists named and shamed (wantchinatimes.com)
- Thailand seizes 3 tons of elephant tusks smuggled from Kenya (yahoonewsdigest-intl.tumblr.com)
- Thailand seizes three tons of elephant tusks smuggled from Kenya (dailymail.co.uk)
- Officials begin fourth-round meeting on Sino-Thai rail system (channelnewsasia.com)
- Tourism Authority Of Thailand Creates Its Own Best Of Thailand Awards (khonkaen.ws)