China has always been dependent on imported aircraft engines, which China regards as a bottleneck in its development of advanced aircraft, especially its stealth fighters that require engines better than imported ones.
As a result, China has allocated $16 billion special funding for aircraft engine development.
Now, China Aviation News says in its report that China has successfully developed a new type of aircraft engine with better performance than imported ones.
The engineers working on it know well that in addition to good design, test is an indispensable procedure to ensure the success of their job.
In 2011 alone, over 1,000 hours of tests were carried out including two tests high up in the sky, which proved the high efficiency and quality of the engine.
A lot of new structures, materials and technologies have been used in the new engine. In order to ensure high reliability of the engine, each and every part and component, especially the key ones, has undergone strict tests.
China has no technology or experience in bird impact testing of such types of aircraft engines. Since 2009, it has conducted five years of complicated study for the testing.
It conducted static testing within two years and finally succeeded in bird impact testing of their new engine in 2013. The fan blade of the engine passed the test when it was rotating in its normal operation.
The success in developing the new type of engine that has proved better than imported ones has greatly enhanced the research and development team’s confidence, and created favourable conditions for further breakthroughs in key advanced technologies for China’s aircraft engines.
Source: China Aviation News “AVIC has successfully developed a new type of engine better than imported ones in performance” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China’s Taihang engine leads the world in aircraft thrust-weight ratio (chinadailymail.com)
- China claims its aerospace fighter is able to reach US in one hour (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s aircraft carrier has fatal weakness – vulnerable if too far away from China (chinadailymail.com)
- China developing 180,000-ton double-hull aircraft carrier (chinadailymail.com)
- Tremendous increase in China’s military spending amid territorial rows (chinadailymail.com)
- AVIC integrates affiliates to fire up China’s aircraft engine business (wantchinatimes.com)
- Philippines alarmed over China aircraft challenges in disputed sea (spacewar.com)
- Russia discusses cooperation on SSJ-100 with India and China (in.rbth.com)
- Philippines alarmed over China aircraft challenges in disputed sea (channelnewsasia.com)
- Would US aircraft and Navy Ships Going Close to China’s South Sea Islands Shift China’s Policy or Cause Accelerated Island Buildup ? (nextbigfuture.com)