The following is based on a translation from Chinese media:
Hong Kong’s Singtao Daily reports that China’s official TV media CCTV’s anchor Bi Fujian, well-known for his humour, has been denounced by Maoists across the Chinese nation for mentioning the misery Mao brought to Chinese people when he sang a tune from the Peking Opera at a private dinner party on April 6.
CCTV suspended Bi’s hosting of its “Starlight Avenue” program. The Red Army Primary Schools all over the nation cancelled Bi’s honour as their “image ambassador.” Some Maoists in Mianyang City, Sichuan Province even held an assembly to denounce him, calling him “traitor.”
After three days of silence, Bi issued a statement on April 9, expressing his “great self-accusation and regret’ and “sincere and deep apology to the general public”.
In spite of Mao’s tyranny, Chinese people still support him. In spite of the death from starvation of tens of millions of people caused by Mao’s Great Leap Forward and the serious disaster of Mao’s Cultural Revolution, Chinese people still love him so deeply that whoever mentions that tyrant’s crime will be in trouble.
Chan Kai Yee is the author of “Space Era Strategy.” Read his blog at Tiananmen’s Tremendous Achievements.
Source: Singtao Daily – “Denounced by Sichuan leftists, Bi Fujian issues a statement of apology” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- How the New York Times is eluding censors in China (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media fakes editorial by famed western journalist to glorify China (chinadailymail.com)
- Many of China’s TV shows, films are rubbish, minister says (chinadailymail.com)
- Ghosts of China’s Maoist past haunt the present (chinadailymail.com)
- Japan objects as Chinese paper prints mushroom clouds on map (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese News Anchor in Hot Water for Ridiculing Mao Zedong (theepochtimes.com)
- Chinese TV Host Hurls Abuses at Mao in Viral Video, Suspended (ibtimes.co.in)
- Chinese TV Star Apologizes For Remarks Critical Of Mao (npr.org)
- China Broadcaster to Punish Anchor Who Insulted Mao (voanews.com)
- China to probe state TV host for insulting founding father Mao Zedong (yahoonewsdigest-intl.tumblr.com)