The following is a translation from Chinese media. It contains unreferenced citations from unnamed US media publications to support its claims:
A picture showing the ceremony on the commencement of the construction of the Type 055 destroyer last December has attracted much speculation among foreign media. Chinese media claims US media as saying that China’s Type 055 missile destroyer can be a rival to or even surpass US Aegis destroyer.
It is said that the destroyer has a displacement of 12,000 tons, second only to the DDG-1000 that the US is building.
Chinese media claims that according to US media, the 055 destroyer carries 128 anti-ship and surface-to-ground cruise missiles and air defence missiles, and may even be armed with an electromagnetic gun and laser weapon. Such a large warship is in fact a cruiser rather than a destroyer.
In the US, a cruiser is the major defence warship of an aircraft carrier battle group. In Russia, which has no aircraft carrier, a cruiser is the core of a fleet.
Some people may find it wierd that there is so much speculation since no one knows whether the picture is true or not. However, Wuhan Shipyard has built and tested the upper structure of the destroyer. As such construction and tests are usual procedures in building a new warship, it’s natural that the picture has drawn much attention.
Chinese military expert Yin Zhuo said in an interview with CCTV (Chinese government’s major TV media) that he believed that there must be great innovation in the destroyer by using digital complete electric propulsion so that there will be enough electric power for laser weapons and an electromagnetic gun.
Judging by the model of the upper structure of the Type 055 destroyer in Wuhan, the destroyer is perhaps 180 metres long and 20 metres wide, with a displacement exceeding 10,000 tons.
Yin believes that the destroyer will serve as the core of the Chinese fleet before China has commissioned more aircraft carriers.
Source: mil.huanqiu.com “Foreign media says China’s Type 055 destroyer surpasses US Aegis warship in capabilities and may be equipped with electromagnetic gun” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China claims panic by US miltary over China’s drone-killing lasers (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s first homegrown aircraft carrier being assembled in Shanghai (chinadailymail.com)
- China says new strategic nuclear submarine will be able to attack anywhere in America (chinadailymail.com)
- China claims breakthrough by training 8 more carrier-based fighter jet pilots, taking total to 13 (chinadailymail.com)
- China building two aircraft carriers before 2017, as part of plan to infiltrate Indian Ocean (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s 055 Destroyer Surpasses US Aegis Warship in Capabilities (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China also developing railguns and lasers for their navy but will first have a modern missile cruiser in about 2017 (nextbigfuture.com)
- More ‘Chinese Aegis’ to be built in China in 2015 (wantchinatimes.com)
- China Downplays Capabilities of New Type-055 Guided Missile Destroyer (defencetalk.com)
- China’s Drone Program Keeps Stealthily Inching Forward (foreignpolicy.com)