The following is translated from Chinese media:
A Global Times reporter has learnt from an authentic source that a second batch of J-15 pilots has succeeded in landing on the carrier.
However, it seems that the eight pilots have not yet obtained licences for their qualification as carrier-based fighter jet pilots.
According to Chinese navy expert Li Jie, for an aircraft carrier to have combat capability, enough carrier-based aircraft pilots are a key issue.
If so, China has to train many more such pilots, as the total number of the first and second batches of J-15 pilots totals only 13, far from enough for the 24 J-15s on the carrier.
Source: Global Times “Major Breakthrough: China’s second batch 8 pilots succeeded in landing on aircraft carrier” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)
- China has established its first carrier-borne aviation force (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s J-15 fighter jet has practice flights from Liaoning aircraft carrier (chinadailymail.com)
- China Plans to Build Aircraft Carrier (chinadailymail.com)
- China developing 180,000-ton double-hull aircraft carrier (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s alternative aircraft carrier – amphibious attack vessel with VTOL fighters (chinadailymail.com)
- China Breakthrough in Training 8 More Carrier-based Fighter Jet Pilots (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China’s J-20 stealth fighter may have started mass production (nextbigfuture.com)