The following is a translation from Chinese media:
The Russian Military Observation website published an article titled “China’s Nuclear Potential” on December 30, 2014. It says that China is upgrading and improving its strategic bombers, but the H-6K, the upgraded version of the H-6 bomber imported from Russia has a range of only 3,000km, and does not constitute nuclear deterrence against the US.
China has tried without success to import the technology of the Russian TU-22M3 bomber.
However, China is vigorously developing its strategic nuclear submarine fleet. Its first Jin-class nuclear submarine was commissioned in 2004, while its sixth such submarine was launched in March 2010.
China is developing a Type 096 Tang-class nuclear ballistic missile submarine that is armed with 24 submarine-launched ICBMs (SLBMs), with a range of 11,000 km – enough to attack anywhere in the United States.
By 2020, the Chinese navy will have at least six 094 and 096 ballistic missile nuclear submarines armed with 80 SLBMs in all. They can carry 250-300 nuclear warheads.
Source: huanqiu.com – “China developing Type 096 strategic nuclear submarine able to carry 24 missiles” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese”
- Chinese nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S. (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media claims three strategic nuclear submarines berthed in Hainan are superior to current submarines (chinadailymail.com)
- China will deploy subs that could nuke Alaska or Hawaii this year (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s ICBM with MIRV warheads will be commissioned soon (chinadailymail.com)
- China claims successful development of 4th generation nuclear submarine (chinadailymail.com)
- China Developing 096 Strategic Nuclear Sub Able to Carry 24 SLBMs (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- The Giant Tubes That Launch Missiles In Strategic Nuclear Submarines (gizmodo.com.au)
- Missile Man (xbradtc.com)
- Rethinking The Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (breakingdefense.com)
- Concerns rise over N. Korea’s submarine missile capability (koreaherald.com)