Chinese President Xi Jinping is showing China’s goodwill in India, especially China’s desire to resolve its border dispute with India peacefully and maintain peace along the disputed border so the dispute can be solved.
Russia wants a Russia-China-India alliance to counter the U.S. It seems that there is no way to form such an alliance if the border dispute between China and India is not solved. Now Russia and China seem to have a new approach. Their Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) suddenly wants to take in new members after more than a decade of closed doors.
By attracting India and Pakistan into the SCO, the growing ties between India and China with Pakistan may contribute to the resolution of border disputes, and ease the tension between India and Pakistan. For Russia, it would be a major step to turn the SCO into a new Cold War camp to counter the U.S.
Both India and Pakistan are now SCO observers. Pakistan has submitted its application for joining the SCO, but India has not, though there have been reports that it has shown great interest in SCO membership.
Xi said in India that China would support India becoming a full SCO member.
At the same time, China’s Foreign Ministry released a statement in Beijing that China welcomed both India and Pakistan to join the SCO.
The following is the full text of Reuters report on Xi visiting India:
China’s Xi says determined to settle India border issue
China is determined to bridge differences over its shared border with India, President Xi Jinping said on Thursday, adding that both sides were capable of dealing with fallout from security incidents on the disputed frontier.
“China has the determination to work with India through friendly consultation to settle the boundary question at an early date,” Xi said after summit talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
“We also have the sincerity to work with India to maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas before we are finally able to settle the boundary question.”
Xi also said China would support India becoming a full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) – a regional security body whose largest members are China and Russia.
China’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement released in Beijing that China welcomed both India and its great regional rival, Pakistan, joining the SCO.
“We welcome and support India and Pakistan to formally become new members of the SCO as early as possible,” the ministry said.
Their admission would boost the group’s ability to maintain regional security, it added, without saying when they might join.
Pakistan is China’s most important ally in South Asia, though Xi had to cancel a trip on his current swing through the region due to ongoing unrest there.
China, Russia and four Central Asian nations – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan – formed the SCO in 2001 as a regional security bloc to fight threats posed by radical Islam and drug trafficking from neighboring Afghanistan.Source: Reuters “China’s Xi says determined to settle India border issue”
- Chinese army incursion into India’s territory (chinadailymail.com)
- Japan and India pledge to strengthen ties as China rises (chinadailymail.com)
- India being hotly courted internationally; difficult for China to woo (chinadailymail.com)
- China wants a military base on Maldives in Indian Ocean (chinadailymail.com)
- China Wooing India Hard along with Russia (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization to Take in India, Pakistan (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China’s Xi supports India’s aspiration for greater UN role (worldbulletin.net)
- China to invest $20 billion in India despite territorial dispute (english.pravda.ru)
- China’s Xi says determined to settle India border issue (dailymail.co.uk)
- Xi Jinping’s India visit has given ‘great boost’ to ties: China (dnaindia.com)