The following is based on translations from Chinese media:
China is carrying out reclamation to build not only military but also fishing, fish farming and tourism bases on the islands and reefs in the South China Sea.
What counts is not who has taken the islands there but how the islands and reefs are exploited to bring benefit to the claimant.
It seems China is carrying out construction of its facilities at high speed to exploit the islands, reefs and waters there.
There is a blue building at the centre of the island and a dock being built in the area of reclamation. China seems to have switched from reclamation to planting trees and other plants there including coconut and palm trees. The trees are all grown-up ones transplanted from elsewhere. That is wise as only grown-up trees are strong enough to resist typhoons and protect the buildings and people there.
In addition, according to Philippine fishermen passing by, a dam is being built on the east side of the artificial island. Inside the island, air reconnaissance has found building materials and various kinds of heavy construction machinery.Source: China Daily “Philippine media: China has built an artificial island on Johnson South Reef: Heavy machinery can clearly be seen from sky” (summary by Chan Kai Yee base on the report in Chinese)
- China’s plans to control South China Sea; Philippines and Vietnam are just the beginning (chinadailymail.com)
- China to build South China Sea military base in waters claimed by Philippines and Vietnam (chinadailymail.com)
- China continues advance into South China Sea; military base to be built on artificial island (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese media: China will challenge the US in South China Sea (chinadailymail.com)
- Design of China’s Military Base to Be Built on Reef in South China Sea (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- Philippines Not to Respond to China’s Reclamation on 5 Disputed Reefs (tiananmenstremendousachievements.wordpress.com)
- China hastening work on reclamation projects in disputed waters – DFA (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- China tells PH off on reef reclamation, says ‘it’s none of your business’ (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- China claims ‘indisputable sovereignty’ over reclamation on Mabini reef (globalnation.inquirer.net)
- China Builds Artificial Islands in South China Sea (businessweek.com)