The appointment will see him split his time between Boston, Beijing and his hometown of Brisbane.
“I am very much looking forward to working in America’s oldest university, as well as the leading university in world rankings,” he said in a statement released on the university’s website.
“I believe the China project is important if we are to advance both the concept and the substance of what the Chinese call ‘a new type of great power relationship’ between Washington and Beijing.”
Harvard University says the former prime minister will bring a unique perspective to what will be one of the defining geo-political relationships of this century.
With China’s economy set to surpass the US during the next decade, the university says Mr Rudd’s research project will explore the new shape of the relationship between the two superpowers.
“As a former head of government, who is also extremely knowledgeable about China and many topics, prime minister Rudd was a hit with students as an institute guest speaker last April,” Harvard’s Institute of Politics director Trey Grayson said.
“As an institute-visiting fellow this spring, here for a much longer period, we are sure even more undergraduates will take advantage of the opportunity to learn from and engage with him – and that his presence will create strong interest among faculty and the entire university community.”
Mr Rudd officially resigned from politics in Australia in November last year after Labor lost the September election.
He has kept a low public profile since that time, but has made frequent trips overseas to meet with various world leaders.Source: ABC – Kevin Rudd takes on Harvard University senior fellow role researching United States-China relations
- Former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd goes world wide on China’s assertiveness (chinadailymail.com)
- China was furious because Australia would not submit to its demands under Kevin Rudd (chinadailymail.com)
- Kevin Rudd to Lead Harvard Research Effort on US – China Relations (moonbattery.com)
- Rudd gets Harvard University gig (news.com.au)
- Kevin Rudd goes to Harvard (smh.com.au)
- Australia’s former PM Rudd goes to Harvard (gulfnews.com)
- Kevin Rudd’s dirty dozen moments (heraldsun.com.au)
- Earwax and Instagram: Rudd’s rogue moments (sbs.com.au)
- Fairfax chairman Roger Corbett accuses Prime Minister Kevin Rudd of destabilising Labor (abc.net.au)
- Push to replace KRudd with JRudd (theage.com.au)