is increasingly looking to Europe as a potential partner in the global movie biz.
That was the message delivered at the Venice Film Festival by both Beijing Intl. Film Festival topper Zhao Zhiyong, on the Lido for the first time, and Vincent Fischer, CEO of European talent agency ECI, with offices in Beijing, and Paris, with whom the Beijing fest is partners.
The third edition of Beijing fest, held in April, was packed with Hollywood bizzers, including Lucas film topper . Zhao is at Venice to forge other international ties and perhaps pick up a few tips from the Grand Dame.
“Since we are one of the youngest festivals, we want to learn something from Venice, which is the oldest one,” said Zhao, adding he is on the Lido to meet talent, agents and execs.
The fest topper praised his “very good” co-operation with ECI. “The Beijing Film Festival and some of our partners in China are eager to have a strong European agency to counterbalance the power of CAA, which has an office in Beijing,” Fischer said.
Fischer said ECI is packaging co-productions between Europe and China with 20 projects in co-development with a French and a Chinese producer in place. Most of these are action movies.
He announced a long-term partnership with Chinese producer Tim He and his company Hoper Media. ECI has brought together Hoper Media and French production company Daigoro to co-produce “Love Run,” written and to be directed by French TV helmer Julien Seri.
The pics must have at least 30% Chinese elements to be Chinese co-productions. Elements include cast, director and post-production.
BJIFF and ECI also hosted a party Saturday at the Hotel Danieli.Source: Variety – “China Kicks Off European Tour at Venice Film Festival”
- Ziyi Zhang’s ‘My Lucky Star’ set for North American release (chinadailymail.com)
- Miu Miu Venice Film Festival’s Best Dressed (nakedfashions.com)
- Beijing announces future-facing theme (screendaily.com)
- Chinese-language films to be shown at Venice film festival (wantchinatimes.com)
- China acts to chill interest in independent films (miamiherald.com)
- Clooney in hot water over Venice stunt… (telegraph.co.uk)
- Venice Festival Scene: Lohan No-Show, Clooney Risks Fine – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Just co-stars? George Clooney and Sandra Bullock get cosy at Venice Film Festival (express.co.uk)
- Italy Courts Sino market with Treaty (variety.com)
- George Clooney in Venice to open film festival (arunbabyveranakunnel.wordpress.com)