The frigate Yueyang is capable of long-range surveillance, as well as air defence and anti-submarine operations, according to the report.
At a ceremony held in Sanya, a port city in south China’s Hainan Province, Jiang Weilie, commander of the South China Sea fleet, endorsed a PLA flag and naming certificate for the naval unit that received the frigate.
Mil.huanqiu.com says that the frigate is a Type 054A frigate. It provides five photos of it, the best of which is published here
CCTV says, “The Yueyang frigate is a totally-enclosed multi-role missile frigate developed by China independently. Its ship number is 575 and it is 130 meters long with 16-meter beam and a maximum displacement of more than 4,000 tons.Source: Xinhua “Frigate commissioned for S China Sea fleet”, mil.huanqiu.com “One More Type 054A Frigate Commissioned in Chinese navy” and CCTV “Warship The Yueyang commissioned in Chinese navy” (passages of the latter two reports translated from Chinese by Chan Kai Yee)
- China deploys navy ships to patrol Diaoyu Islands (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s navy near Malaysia ‘to defend South China Sea’ (chinadailymail.com)
- China’s new stealth frigate commissioned (wantchinatimes.com)
- Chinese Warship to Visit Indian Port of Kochi? (h16613.com)
- SURFACE FORCES : China Forms Its First Carrier Escort Group (strategypage.com)
- PLA holds exercise in South China Sea: report (wantchinatimes.com)
- China helps build fourth F-22P frigate for Pakistan’s Navy (paksinica.wordpress.com)
- Pakistan commissions last Zulfiquar frigate (upi.com)
- NZ frigate heading to Korean trouble zone (stuff.co.nz)
- China’s new hydrophonic detection net able to detect US nuclear submarines (chinadailymail.com)