That’s one way to get to the top of the class…
The terrifying climb of Chinese school children as young as five, forced to scale sheer cliffs to get to school.
Brave schoolchildren use the wooden ladders, with no safety precautions, to get to school every day
Five-year-old Liu Dan explained: ‘It’s quite high but I try not to look down’
These schoolchildren in southern China are so keen to get to school that they make the perilous journey on narrow wooden ladders every day, with no safety precautions.
Their village in the remote Badagong mountains, in Sangzhi county, is surrounded by sheer drops on every side, making the school run a daily struggle.
The only way out of Zhang Jiawan village, unless the children have time for a four-hour cross country detour, is via a series of rickety-looking ladders leading down to the valley below.
5-year-old Yu Xinxin, who climbs the ladders to school every day, is seen reading before she sets off on her long morning journey (picture below).
‘My parents showed me how to do it safely and now I don’t think too much about how high it is,’ she added.
Villagers have asked local officials to supply a road down to the valley so that these children do not have to risk their lives.
However, the road over the difficult terrain would cost nearly £10 million so residents are not getting their hopes up that it will happen any time soon.
‘There are fewer than 100 people living there. It would be cheaper to buy them all helicopters,’ said one.
- Terrifying climb to get to school in southern China (oyiabrown.com)
- A Chinese education, for a price (chinadailymail.com)
- That’s one to get to the top of the class… The terrifying climb of Chinese schoolchildren as young as five forced to scale sheer cliffs to get to school (gistgrand.wordpress.com)
- Terrifying climb for the sake of education (sbmaxtech.wordpress.com)
- Chinese children scale sheer cliffs to get to school (nation.com.pk)
- Chinese children tackle 70m cliff climb on school route (itv.com)
- That’s one to get to the top of the class¿ The terrifying climb of Chinese schoolchildren as young as five forced to scale sheer cliffs to get to school (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Children literally climb mountains to get to school (meanwhileinchinanews.com)
- Chinese village children face daily climb up 130ft ladders to get to school (thetimes.co.uk)
- That’s one to get to the top of the class¿ The terrifying climb of Chinese schoolchildren as young as five forced to scale sheer cliffs to get to school (dailymail.co.uk)