Advertisements
you're reading...
Education & Employment

China Foreign Teachers Union scams expats

CFTU

China extends the hand of friendship on the CFTU website

The thing to remember about China is that all unions are state controlled. Independent unions are illegal.

Yet China Foreign Teachers Union (CFTU) claims to be the one exception in the whole country.

It seems impossible to believe that the Chinese government would allow western teachers to form an illegal union, and allow that union to harass and intimidate technically lawful Chinese businesses.

Yet that is what the CFTU is claiming they can do.

The first warning to all expats in China is to never give out your name and details to anybody, without first verifying who they are, and the reason for needing the information.

Most likely, CFTU is a Chinese operation that serves one or more of the following functions:

• Collects the names of foreign teachers on behalf of the government. The teachers will then be reported as illegal, or as potential troublemakers
  • Collects the names of foreign teachers that are not currently working, and such names are then sold to agents looking for teachers. Agents are the worst possible way of finding teaching work in China. Many expats report getting unsolicited calls from agents soon after contacting CFTU.
  • Collects the names of schools and agents that have hired teachers illegally, and then blackmails those schools and agents.

Other reports believe that it is a single individual, fabricating a bizarre illusion by creating multiple websites and usernames, and spamming expat bulletin boards and news sites.As with many things in China, it is hard to know what to believe, though the fact that it is operating suggests it is government sanctioned.

Anyone who doesn’t cooperate with CFTU gets spammed with defamation all over the internet. China Daily Mail and its editor, Craig Hill, have been victims of CFTU’s vexatious tirades, because they refused to assist in this scam.

In fact, almost every expat site in China has banned them, though the occasional posting slips through, due to the sheer volume of their spamming.

They create countless WordPress and Blogger sites, telling outrageous lies about their victims – anyone who won’t cooperate with them. Their sites includes China Scam Patrol, China Scam Busters and others.

eChinacities.com, one of China’s most popular expat sites, reports more than eight months of constant spamming by dozens of fake user accounts associated with CFTU:

Adminansw Post ECC

answers.echinacities.com/question/china-foreign-teachers-union-actually-chinese-run-operation

Even if one were to believe CFTU’s spam and propaganda, that they are indeed a genuine organisation, that would mean they have been operating illegally for many years in China without being caught, jailed and deported. That is highly unlikely.

Whatever the truth about this organisation, one thing that is extremely concerning is that they are collecting the names, details and grievances of foreign teachers. Such information will quickly end up in the hands of police and government regulators. One can almost bet money that such information will be detrimental to those foreign teachers.

If it is a Chinese operation, the information will be handed over willingly to authorities. This could also be the case if it is being run by foreigners, to keep the police at bay; that would explain why they have been allowed to operate illegally for so long. If it is a non-sanctioned illegal operation, the police will simply take the information through hacking, or walk in and take the computer. The end result is that the information will end up in the hands of Chinese authorities.

At this point, I would like to put forward the reasons that I suspect this is operation is controlled by the Chinese government. On the surface, CFTU claims to be an organisation set up by volunteers to help foreigner teachers. It also appears to be naming and shaming scam agents. However, like many things in China, things aren’t always what they seem.

On further investigation, it is revealed to be a commercial operation to recover unpaid money from schools and agents. For a fee, of course. There also appears to be a paid membership scheme in place. EDIT: Since this article was posted, CFTU have removed this from their websites, and deny that it had ever been there.

The following is not meant as evidence; the fact that independent unions are illegal in China is sufficient to warn any sound-thinking person to keep right away from this organisation. It is simply a list of concerns that I have about CFTU, that should urge all expats to proceed with caution if dealing with them:

To use the “services” of CFTU, one needs to register on a website that looks like it was designed by a very young child. The website has no names or photos of the people running it, what their qualifications to run a union are, no address, no phone number and just a single unlinked email address. There are also a lot of unsubstantiated anecdotes, and spiteful attacks on agents.

It also does not explain how an illegal union is allowed to operate in China. Teachers are probably reporting themselves for working illegally, or branding themselves as trouble makers. Belonging to such a union is illegal in China. Warning light 1.

The CFTU floods China’s expat sites with spam user accounts, which seek to give the false impression that a lot of foreigners are endorsing the service. Warning light 2

Some examples are at:

china.eslteachercafe.com/topic2247-china-deports–foreign-teachers-for-no-z-visas.aspx

www.reddit.com/r/China/comments/18mg6s/china_foreign_teachers_union/

Not being totally adverse to such an operation, if it is genuine, I set out to find out more. My email asking for more information, and offering to promote their service on this and other websites, was met with stony silence. A standard Chinese response when things aren’t what they seem, and warning light 3.

That is not to say I did not receive emails from them, under their various identities. One email asked me to side with them against many of the expat sites, because they advertised for a specific agent in Beijing. It seemed the writer was out for revenge on this agent. My guess is because the agent didn’t pay money to the union. Such extortion is common in China. Warning light 4. Click here to see this email.

I received another email today, from sarahplane, demanding an apology for exposing her as a scam on another website. The email went to great lengths to convince me that she was genuine, even denouncing CFTU, and that she was not one of the multiple identities. Again, a typical reaction from a Chinese person who has lost face. Also, the need to “fool the foreigner” that is almost obligatory amongst Chinese scammers. One of Sarah’s spam posts, typical of the hundreds that CFTU inundate expat sites with, is reproduced here, and another is reproduced below. Warning light 5.

Sarahmplane post ECC 2

The website of the CFTU boasts of recommendations from other websites. However, all these websites are virtually the exact same thing, and appear to have been set up specifically, though carelessly, to give each other credibility. I have seen similar setups, though much more elaborate, when investigating frauds in Australia. Warning light 6. EDIT: Since this article was posted, CFTU have removed this from their websites, and deny that it had ever been there.

All the operators of the CFTU website remain anonymous, but require new members to divulge their identities. Warning light 7.

The CFTU website also urges foreigners not to hire lawyers or use other legal means, but to use the union’s (probably illegal) services, to recover money from schools and agents. Again, in itself, not such a bad thing. But it is very vague about what the costs are, except that there are costs. Warning light 8. EDIT: Since this article was posted, CFTU have removed this from their websites, and deny that it had ever been there.

The website claims an 88% success rate with collecting money. That seems to suggest someone with a lot of guanxi. Foreigners normally don’t have that. It is also highly possible that they use extortion to force the companies to pay – like spamming expat websites with damaging accusations against the schools and agents. 88 is also a lucky number in Chinese superstition. Warning light 9. EDIT: Since this article was posted, CFTU have removed this from their websites, and deny that it had ever been there.

That was enough warning lights. My guess is that this organisation is actually collecting foreigners names as much as anything else. Such names could then be sold on the black market, or forwarded to Chinese authorities. It is also possible that the agents and schools they have targeted are not cooperating with them, which is why CFTU are targetting those agents and schools.

Perhaps I am wrong, and if I am, I welcome dialogue with the teachers union. An offer which was previously ignored in true Chinese style. EDIT: CFTU again rejected dialogue, opting instead for personal attacks and spamming with multiple identities to try to justify themselves.

Whether I am right or wrong, I would urge anybody, especially non-Chinese, to be very wary indeed about registrations with CFTU, or any other organisation in China. It is well known how such information always seems to get into the wrong hands, and is used against people, or to their detriment.

Sarahmplane post ECC

Editor’s Note: Since this article was written, China Daily Mail has been the target of a malicious and defamatory spam campaign, operated by CFTU and many aliases. One of these aliases offered to remove all the defamatory material for a hefty fee, confirming that the operation is extortion.

CFTU also operate sites named China Scam Busters, Clever China Cheaters and others, which have spammed the internet with attacks against China Daily Mail and Craig Hill. They published the following two “articles,” amongst many others:

chinascampatrol.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/is-the-china-daily-post-and-editor-craig-hill-a-shill-scam/

craighillchinadailymail.blogspot.ca/

CFTU have edited all their websites to remove traces of the adverse matters reported in the main story, and have spammed this site with propaganda about themselves. They use obviously fake names, and all say essentially the same thing. Some of these comments can be viewed below. More warning lights.

The registration information on the CFTU websites is as follows:

Clever China Cheaters Ltd.
Wanliu Donglu Bldg. 11 – Suite 505
Haidian District – Zone A2
Beijing 100089 China

PH: 0-108-255-1410
BeijingBizBuzz@gmail.com

Advertisements

About Craig Hill

General Manager at Craig Hill Training Services * Get an Australian diploma by studying in your own country * Get an Australian diploma using your overseas study and work experience * Diplomas can be used for work or study in Australia and other countries. * For more information go to www.craighill.net

Discussion

35 thoughts on “China Foreign Teachers Union scams expats

1. Reblogged this on Oyia Brown.

Posted by OyiaBrown | March 25, 2013, 6:26 pm
  2. Reblogged this on middlekingdom1of10boyz and commented:
    Like you ever really thought things were normal in this country. Guess that this is a lot like the cops calling you or messaging you to tell you that they found something of yours. Come and collect it only to be arrested for an outstanding warrant or failure to pay child support.

Posted by 1of10boyz | March 25, 2013, 8:24 pm
    • Sorry, I don’t see the same conspiracy and I don’t see anywhere where they ask anyone for any money. I also see no reference on their website to any “88% success rate” and I think if they were some scam people who were victimized would be shouting from a mountaintop. If they are Chinese like OP says, they have damn good English for sure. And who is Sarahplane? I don’t see any reference to her anywhere aside from the OP comments. And i see no advice anywhere where they advise people not to use lawyers – only agents (annd that is damn good advice!) Is it possible OP is one of the 51 shady agents exposed at the CFTU website or affiliated somehow with one of the blacklisted schools? Just for shits and giggles, I will also email them and see what I get back for answers.

EDIT: OK. I can see now, from the link you provided, that the union is a scam. Apologies to China Daily Mail.

Posted by Daniel | March 26, 2013, 8:26 pm
  3. This writer seems quite fishy to me for five reasons…

Reason 1: Article states “On further investigation, it is revealed to be a commercial operation to recover unpaid money from schools and agents. For a fee, of course. There also appears to be a paid membership scheme in place.” What and whose investigation is he referring to? It clearly states on the homepage that CFTU membership is “Free”, and when I inquired about it by email about 3 weeks ago, was also told the same thing.

Reason 2: I just spent an hour looking at 26 posts that make up the web site and I see not one place where anything is being sold, endorsed, or even promoted. Most scams I know of want money for something! At least if they were peddling religion or some poltical agenda, I might buy into the OP.

Reason 3: I cannot fathom any reason a Chinese person would do this as they strongly advise against sending anyone but real direct employers visa and passport scans. They do not ask for anything from people from what I can see.

Reason 4: Judging by the amount of scam operators they outed on their website (even with photographs) and how they petitioned the ministry of justice to go after the biggest/greediest fraudsetr agent in China (China ESL), my guess is there are quite a few pissed off people that have an ax to grind with the CFTU right now. Would those angry people resort to creating fictitious people to go on a vengeful smear campaign? Probably – if they are losing money after being exposed by the CFTU.

Reason 5: The biggest reason I smell a rat with this is because I only learned about the CFTU because my gf left her teaching job at a Chinese kindergarten in Dongzhimen about a year ago, and the assholes didn’t pay her last check and even wanted her to pay 5,000 renminbi for a release letter! One of our neighbors took her to a CFTU meeting at a UBC coffee shop in Chaoyang. Even though she was not a member they helped her with some phone calls and sent a guy named “Mel” to visit the sleazey principal. We don’t know what he said or did but my gal got her 8,500 and her release letter two days later and nobody from the CFTU ever asked her for anything. Although I did not go to that meeting my gf said there were about 2 dozen foreigners there – not one Chinese.

Whether you believe reason 5 or not makes no difference, because reasons 1 through 4 are enough to raise the eyebrows of most intelligent people in this world. So until a real victim of some real scam steps forward with verifiable proof, I think this CFTU group is long overdue and they get my support until they do something to lose it.

Posted by G. Wilson | March 26, 2013, 9:12 pm
    • The author of this article is Craig Hill, the editor of China Daily Mail. The 46 contributors on this site all reveal their true identities. I note that nobody at CFTU identify themselves.

The author of the preceding comment has given away that China Foreign Teachers Union is a Chinese government operation in “Reason 5”

1. All unions in China are controlled by the Chinese government
      2. Independent unions are illegal
      3. If CFTU can intimidate a school principal, then they are Chinese controlled. Otherwise, the principal would have called the police on the illegal union.

I believe the agents are indeed dodgy, but that CFTU is attempting to use it’s government influence to extort the agents as well as the teachers. By spamming them all over the internet, as you are doing here.

Given that the Chinese government censor thousands of internet posts per day, how long would the teachers protests stay on the internet?

Apart from your story about your girlfriend, I have seen no other reports from anybody about CFTU recovering any money (apart from the obvious spam on expat websites). No doubt, a flood of such reports will now magically appear.

I provided a link above to adverse comments about China Foreign Teachers Union, but obviously as the guy who operates it, you chose to ignore that. Here are a couple more from another website:

Posted by China Daily Mail | March 26, 2013, 9:36 pm
      • Dear Mr. Hill,

The above poster pointed out some supposed discrepancies with your supposition that I would like to clarify as follows:

a) The CFTU is collecting membership fees as you stated
        b) The CFTU do charge an unspecified percentage of money collected.
        c) I have never heard of anyone who actually collected money, other than the spam you mentioned
        d) There were boasts from other websites on their web site – but now I found none.
        e) None of the CFTU reveal their identity
        f) They use VPNs so their IPs can’t be traced when spamming sites
        g) I am unsure who “Sarahplan” and why is this significant. Could you please clarify this?
        h) CFTU website did say they collected money with an 88% success rate, but this is no longer on their website.

Your assumption about someone intimidating a corrupt school principal is true, that principal would get the police involved and smash the union.

Posted by Volunteer 039 | March 27, 2013, 2:38 am
  4. Well Craig, it seems you reuffled some feathers here and I can understand why. I actually have been using the CFTU website for almost 3 months, looking for work, mostly the blacklist and I can confirm that things were deleted. This was necessary to protect ourselves from you.

BTW… as an “editor” of a real publication, like the one I used to work for (San Francisco Chronicle) you would have been fired long ago for being so irresponsible to expose CFTU working in China to such danger, and to even further assume that if more than one person is posting, they surely must be using different identities. Do you also assume that you have a monopoly on smarts Craig?

You would do well to be cautious, as I too am curious where you acquired information about is. Where are the emails you speak about or did you conveniently delete them? You could not possibly have seen them.

Posted by Kevin | March 27, 2013, 8:58 am
    • The only question that needs answering is why does the Chinese government allow this union to operate independently, when it doesn’t allow one other independent union anywhere in China to operate?

Every union in China is state controlled, by law. Why is your union different? The answer is, it’s not.

You were the editor of the San Francisco Chronicle, and now you can’t even get a job teaching English in China? Three months looking, and the union hasn’t helped you at all?

Posted by China Daily Mail | March 27, 2013, 9:22 am
      • Craig you are very “clever” with words (in the Chinese context). Where did I ever say I was an “editor/”. I didn’t – you did. Where id I ever say I couldn’t find a job? – You did.

I said I once worked for the San Francisco Chronicle and never stated in what position. I said I visited the the CFTU website for the last 3 months mostly to look for work – I never said I was looking for a job.

And it appears that you did not even bother to visit te CFTU website because right on the homepage it has said (at least for the last three months that I have been been visiting the site) “Membership in the CFTU is free”. But you claim there is a fee. Why do you deliberately provide erroneous information when we no longer charge a fee?

Furthermore real editors publish “correction notices” when their readers point out blatant errors just like the ones you published and I demand you stop exposing us. Instead of being a decent person and admitted what you printed was erroneous and opinion or guesses, you feed peoples redd herrings to divvert their attention from the quaestions myself asked you two times but you keep avoiding:

Until you actually answer questions and publish the invisible emails you have received from the CFTU with headers revealed, I, and most others with half a brain, will look upon you as a fellow who twists words and fabricates and your only defense is that you were smart enough to use the word “could” in your article instead of the word “is”.so nobody would sue you and we will sue you and foreigners should be careful.

Personally I would never join any union in China (legal or otherwise) since it might cause some repercussions if my identity as a member was known to the Chinese government, and i applaud you guys for having the balls to expose all the corruption, collusion, and scams that they have. You will also surely twist these words I am sure. No one should join this union.

Hopefully, one day your “reporting” will be based on facts and not your personal assumptions Craig.

Posted by Kevin | March 28, 2013, 7:29 am
      • Your post is very confusing. Not sure if you are agreeing or threatening.

The only important fact is that CFTU is one of two things:

1. An illegal union operated by foreigners. In this case, any members, or any foreigners using the union, are subject to deportation and probably jail time.
        2. It is a Chinese controlled union, pretending to be something else. This is the more likely scenario, considering the government have allowed it to keep operating.

Please see the link and the image in our comments above, which you conveniently choose to ignore. These are concerns from many others about this “union.”

The email CFTU sent me, and my reply/offer is at: chinadailymail.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/ecc-email-zip.pdf

Posted by China Daily Mail | March 28, 2013, 7:39 am
  5. All I have to say is that the CFTU was initially helpful to me, sent me a copy of the China Labor Laws (not that any of them are strictly followed in schools, so it seems) and they suggested several china expat sites for me post my story about how I was scammed by an agent so I could warn other foreigners (heard of Rebecca Tang from ChinaESL? Awful person!) . However, CFTU did ask for money from me! They claimed to have circulated a petition with over 1,200 signatures collected demanding that this particular agent be stripped of her license and thrown in prison I never saw it. Shame on those who live off the backs of others. These claims by CFTU are outrageous; they have not been helpful.

Editor’s note: Internet commentators are paid by the Chinese government to distort or deflect internet conversation in support of China and against the west. See our article China’s government hires people to distort web conversations

Posted by Katherine | March 28, 2013, 1:09 pm
  6. Dude these guys are loons, and apparently can’t read either! You told us 5 times that “unions are not legal in China” but all that crap that poster Kevin said! Is he brain dead or don’t have the balls to admit he made a mistake? He fricking lied dude – admit it!

BTW… corruption and cheating foreigners is also not legal in China pal. Why aren’t you writing about that?

Honestly dude Kevin, you have zero credibility with me. How the hell do you look yourself in the mirror every day?

Posted by Tina | March 29, 2013, 9:44 am
  7. Oh and another thing: thanks for sharing!!! I’m glad more people are passing this story around. The more information about CFTU’s antics out there, the better chance we have of sparing another foreign teacher’s wallet and dignity.

Posted by Katherine | March 30, 2013, 4:22 am
  8. Nobody that I can see has yet claimed to be cheated of anything. What exactly is the scam? I admit, the union is an extremely foolish idea.

Posted by Cricket | March 30, 2013, 7:16 am
  9. This is great information to have, especially if you are going to take the risk to teach in China.

Posted by Generation Passport | March 30, 2013, 10:26 am
    • Someone has been playing games with this blog. I and my colleagues made comments attacking the [CENSORED] who wrote this were attacking the blog including one who pointed out that the “Editor” of the China Daily mail is suggested he had links with agents at China ESL.Those posts were deleted but. Something foul and dishing is going on here and I will blog this matter in the right places so people are not fooled by this guy.

Posted by Joanne | March 31, 2013, 7:52 am
      • Many comments, written under different names but all obviously from the same person (you), were deleted or censored because of extreme swearing and physical threats. Just as I had to censor your obscenities from this comment.

I agree with you – China ESL is probably a scam organisation, but I have no proof. If you can provide me with the evidence (considering you have “volunteer investigators”), I would be happy to write an article exposing them.

Thank you also for posting it in “the right places.” Be sure to include the link to the article, so people can make informed opinions.

Posted by China Daily Mail | March 31, 2013, 8:38 am
  10. My name is Jason and I do volunteer investigative work for China Scam Patrol, which is also part of China Foreign Teachers Union which as many of you know also writes a blog. After this here above appeared last week, we received about a dozen inquiries from teachers in China asking us to confirm claims made. After visiting the Beijing office of the CFTU and speaking with seven of the volunteers over the last few days, and reviewing the cache screen capture images of the CFTU’s web site, I can confirm the claim made by the author Craig Hill – private labor unions are not legal in China. Having said that here are the facts as we confirmed.

1. The CFTU has never charged any membership fees to any party
    2. The CFTU does not collect any moneys nor charge any fees to any party
    3. The CFTU’s entire staff of 29 people are volunteers
    4. We find no evidence of any past or present scam
    5. After reviewing the cached screen capture prints taken on March 25th, and March 30th, we confirm that no deletions were made on the CFTU web site as alleged. We do confirm that a “whitelist” and a whitleist link were added – the only changes made to the CFTU website.

Posted by Jason | March 31, 2013, 7:17 am
    • Thank you China Scam Patrol, aka China Foreign Teachers Union. How many other “organisations are part of your stable? I note you admit that private unions are not legal, but which are you – an illegal union, or a Chinese controlled union?

I also note that there is no address on your website saying where your office is located, and none of the “volunteers” are named on your site. On our site, all the writers are identified, many have photos, and all have profiles explaining who they are.

You took a screen shot on March 25th, the day this article was written and after you had edited your site, as evidence that you didn’t edit it? Very convincing – not.

Posted by China Daily Mail | March 31, 2013, 8:51 am
  11. I have seen this guy spamming all the expat sites. There is no union. Anybody that deals with this guy will find themselves on the next plane out of China. If they’re lucky.

Posted by michael | April 1, 2013, 1:01 am
  12. I just want to say (now that I’ve been embroiled in this whole thing due to my expressing support on another forum), that I see MASSIVE GAPPING holes in the ‘logic’ being used to put down this ‘union’.

I do NOT know whether it is legitimate (as far as it’s intentions go), or a complete scam to get rid of ‘trouble-makers’, but so far, from what I’ve seen (which, TBH, isn’t a lot!), I don’t see any great problems.. yet! I do, however, see problems with the way the attacks have been made against it. Supposition, opinion, twisting of facts, innuendo, etc etc. (although, to be fair, some of that has come from ‘the other side’ as well…)

Shall I break down a few of these ‘proofs’?

Firstly, lack of willingness to identify oneself is NOT a form of proof! Sure, on a site such as this, it may not be too much of an issue, but I can see why those IN CHINA might not want to have their face sprawled all over the web… after all, as has been said, unions are illegal! And, they go out of their way to piss off (go ahead and edit!) the local agents – agents whose job it is to rip off foreigners!!

The Chinese government lets this ‘union’ exist… well, personally, I don’t see it as a ‘union’ per se, but a website with a group of people who choose to connect. ‘Union’ is a nice word for us expats to understand, but it’s hardly what it really is, now is it?? And it’s not what constitutes anything even close to a real union back home (or, obviously, here). To suggest that this is ‘proof’ it’s run by the Chinese is…. stretching things a bit!

“Probably”, “likely”, “if”…. you know, when I did Logic 101, those words weren’t ever included in the definitions of ‘proof’…

Btw, the whole ’88’ and ‘SarahPlane’ anagram thing…. laughable!!! I mean, seriously, do you honestly think that constitutes anything other than paranoia and grasping at straws? So too with the “The author of the preceding comment has given away that China Foreign Teachers Union is a Chinese government operation in “Reason 5″” above…

The links that provide ‘proof’ above (ie reddit) does nothing of the sort… of all the comments there, only ONE even hints at anything that might be considered ‘proof’, and that’s someone who claimed to know the (apparent) organiser of this ‘union’, ‘Allen’… ALL of the other comments against are, again, mere opinions, supposition (and, for the most part, childish insult). Only that ONE comment had any REAL worth, and any real relevance!

Finally, I’d just like to say as the (not-so)old Chinese saying goes – “on the internet, no-one knows you’re a dog”.. that goes for BOTH sides of the argument.

(and see, now you can follow my IP, and you’ll FINALLY realise I’m NOT one of those who you think I am! :D)

(and, yes, I use a ‘fake’ email address… and no, I don’t give my real name – here or on most other sites/forums!)

SB

Posted by Shining_brow | April 5, 2013, 8:56 pm
    • There is really no need to go past the fact that independent unions are illegal in China, to which you agree. However, in all your posts, using all your fake names, on all the expat websites you post on, you don’t explain how a group claiming to be expats are allowed by the Chinese government to present themselves as a union. Why is this group of expats not jailed like Chinese citizens who form unions are? The only logical explanation is that they are supported by the government.

The other details in the story are the fake unions outrageous claims, which fly in the face of common sense.

Posted by China Daily Mail | April 5, 2013, 9:24 pm
      • “There is really no need to go past the fact that independent unions are illegal in China. ” For you, maybe not. For me, yes!
        I teach master’s degree candidates research skills, and in particular logical fallacies and critical thinking. How would I NOT ask questions about the ‘evidence’ presented here against CFTU.

Btw, still, I don’t use “all your fake names”. My reply DID actually give a reasonable hypothesis for why it’s allowed.

Posted by Shining_brow | April 5, 2013, 10:48 pm
      • You are using a fake name in the comment, yet you say you don’t use fake names?

Can you prove you teach what you say? Most masters candidates are expected to already have high level research skills. How about posting a scanned copy of your contract, to prove you are genuine.

I can’t see the “reasonable hypothesis” that you state. Want to try giving it again?

Posted by China Daily Mail | April 6, 2013, 5:45 am
      • (Seems I can’t reply to your reply 😦 )

So, let me get this right… from all that I’ve said, the ONLY thing you take away is: a) I use a ‘fake’ name (as against, a ‘username’).

And b) my credentials (and, perhaps therefore, my credibility) is far more important than, you know…. PROVIDING REAL EVIDENCE of this ‘scam’….. (ad nauseum, ad ignoratio, ad hominem).

TBH, you MAY have convinced me of this ‘scam’… except for your EXTREME reluctance to actually provide any such proof/evidence! Compared to this, I’m finding the claims given to me by the CFTU more and more believable. Such a simple thing, and yet… so difficult for you!

Posted by Shining_brow | April 6, 2013, 11:25 am
      • Of course you believe them. You have already admitted many times to being part of the union (perhaps the union), and using multiple names on many sites, just as they do.

To show that China Daily Mail is not alone in it’s condemnation of CFTU, I have added the post by eChinacities.com, which also criticises CFTU, and refers to it as shady (see main article).

Additionally, as a result of your pathetic little post at China Scam Busters criticising almost every major expat site in China, many have been in contact with me for more details. I will include links to their stories as they write them.

But of course, everybody is wrong, and you alone are right.

Posted by China Daily Mail | April 6, 2013, 1:44 pm
  13. Here’s the bottom line to all reading. I just discovered the CFTU yesterday while looking for some information for a story. If you are providing personal information to ANYONE you don’t know personally (and know well, I may add) then you’re asking for trouble. Don’t disclose information to anyone, and especially something called a “union”. This is China. The law is not on your side. I’ve taught lawyers in China, and even they tell me that.

Posted by Jing Li | May 9, 2013, 6:06 pm
  14. I’m sorry, but you have simply stumbled onto the tail-end of a much longer story.
    It’s not “government”, it’s a single wanted fugitive on the run from the US who is operating a vast network of scams. His name is Anthony Dimarco aka Bruce Gorcyca, amongst an endless stream of various aliases.

His scam, from what has been gathered is more about blackmail than anything else, and his various puppet accounts follow him everywhere he goes. He also tends to have a few seeded on the sites so as to pretend that an early registration date means legitimacy when he comes in to back up his other accounts.

He will always claim “hackers” removed evidence, absolutely none of his claims are credible as the only backing is on free PR sites… articles he submitted himself, salon blogs is another one. Any discussion site that is foolish enough to leave his postings undeleted or unflooded by his fake accounts will be used as “source” for his claims. There is a very clear trail of evidence which has been well-documented and can be linked directly to him. Identical usernames, IPs, phone numbers,
    Other known scams he runs:
    Green cards for cash
    Veteran-related scams
    Blackmailing of lesser known agents and schools
    Various “consulting” scams
    Investment fraud… he always is seeking a “business partner” and always seeking cash
    Various names of fronts used: “Rainbow Drama” “Anthony’s English Corner” “ChinaScamPatrol”, “CFTU”, etc. etc.

It is believed these scams are to fund a new citizenship, as he ran away from felony charges in the US to a non-extradition country (China). Gonna be kinda hard to renew a passport which has been flagged and will never be renewed for anything apart from a one-way trip to federal prison.

I can only assume the reason he has not been kicked out of the country yet is entirely due to the fact that (hopefully) no one is dumb enough to fall for his larger scams. He frequently plays up on various “charity” events which never occurred and are entirely fictional apart from him appearing in a santa suit once upon a time.

This is the reason why his fake article series that he thought he landed with cityweekend under the “scam busters” moniker was canned.

Posted by laughable | May 24, 2013, 3:52 am
  15. This article is fantastic sand illustrates the frustrating experience we too have had with this spammer.

We operate many websites and services to China and were a recent victim of their SPAM and also a threat was made to defame our company. In the course of our investigation our lawyers revealed the corporate registration and address their domain name chinascambusters.com, cleverchinacheaters.com, chinascampatrol.com, chinaforeignteachersunion.com // (( Make sure you put a www. in front of these because they didn’t configure their DNS server to resolve without it.))

Anyway, for anyone who haws been defamed by them, and wishes to seek a class action PM me off board. We’re just preparing to have to deal with them making good on their threat of libel and defamation and compiling information at this stage for our attorneys.

You can review a copy of their threats and the evidence we’ve uncovered at the link below.

Registrant Contact Information:

Clever China Cheaters Ltd.
    Wanliu Donglu Bldg. 11 – Suite 505
    Haidian District – Zone A2
    Beijing 100089 China

PH:0-108-255-1410
    BeijingBizBuzz@gmail.com

Posted by Keith Curran | September 19, 2013, 3:02 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Is The China Daily Post And Editor Craig Hill A Shill Scam? | China Scam Patrol - April 5, 2013

2. Pingback: China’s new visa laws target expats | China Daily Mail - July 13, 2013

3. Pingback: China targets foreigners through expat websites | China Daily Mail - July 14, 2013

4. Pingback: ВСИЧКО ЗА КИТАЙ » Blog Archive » China’s new visa laws target expats - August 6, 2013

5. Pingback: China visas: a tightening of rules? | weehingthong - August 19, 2013