Elephant Ear Cookies Recipe: A Delicious Treat to Try
If you’re looking for a delectable and unique cookie recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth, look no further than elephant ear cookies. These crispy, flaky treats are named after the large, thin and flat shape that resembles an elephant’s ear. They are incredibly easy to make and are bound to impress your friends and family. In this article, we will walk you through the preparation steps, provide important information in a handy table, and offer some serving suggestions to make your elephant ear cookies even more delightful.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Servings: Approximately 20 cookies
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need:
|1/2 cup (softened)
|Granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, blending well.
- Roll the dough into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter, and place them on an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Using the bottom of a glass, press each dough ball to flatten it into a thin circle.
- Sprinkle the flattened dough circles with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. As they cool, they will become deliciously crispy.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough until all cookies are baked.
Now that your elephant ear cookies are ready, it’s time to enjoy them! These cookies pair wonderfully with a cup of coffee or tea. You can also serve them as a tasty dessert alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Their unique texture and delightful cinnamon flavor make them a hit at any gathering or even on a cozy night in.
Q: Can I make these cookies ahead of time?
A: Absolutely! Elephant ear cookies can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for up to a week. However, note that their crispy texture may soften slightly over time.
Q: Can I freeze the dough?
A: Yes, you can freeze the dough. Simply shape the dough into balls, place them on a baking sheet, and freeze until firm. Once firm, transfer the dough balls to a freezer bag or airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to bake, simply thaw the dough at room temperature and follow the baking instructions.
Q: Can I substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative?
A: Yes, you can use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend as a substitute. Just make sure it is suitable for baking and follow the same measurements and instructions as the original recipe.
Q: How can I achieve a thinner and crisper texture?
A: If you prefer an even thinner and crisper texture for your elephant ear cookies, you can roll the dough even thinner before baking or increase the baking time slightly. Keep an eye on them as they bake to ensure they don’t become too brown.
So go ahead and give this delightful elephant ear cookies recipe a try. They’re a unique and delicious treat that will surely impress everyone who takes a bite. Whether you’re planning a special occasion or simply satisfying your cookie cravings, these cookies are sure to become a favorite in no time.