A technical “amphibious lift” group will be in place by 2018, possibly in Guam, to help the US mobilise its Australia-based troops quickly in an emergency.
In China, analysts said the decision could further offend the Chinese government, which is still unhappy over Julia Gillard’s 2011 decision to allow US marines to be based in Darwin.
- China’s ambassador to Australia speaks of important milestones (craighill.net)
- How will China react to 20,000 US troops training in Australia? (chinadailymail.com)
- Academic wary of US military presence (bigpondnews.com)
- Australia: Pentagon Adds Warplanes To Asia-Pacific Buildup Against China (rickrozoff.wordpress.com)
- Australian, Chinese (hapavoice.com)
- US boosts regional military footprint: establishing 5th amphibious readiness group in the Pacific (phantomreport.com)
- China “Not The Main Superpower” (socyberty.com)
- Tao’tao Guahan (People of Guam) by Jose McDermott (cmchangblog.wordpress.com)
- Plenty of reasons for Marines to train in Australia – just don’t mention China (stripes.com)
- Nifty Naps is going Australian Made (niftynaps.com)
- Beware the US military presence: academic (news.com.au)